Today I am excited to talk about something that I have been asked about for as long as I can remember – how do I get my pearly white smile? What is my secret?
Let’s just go back to where it started – elementary school. I grew up pretty self conscious about my teeth and smile. I remember all of my friends started loosing their teeth before me and to a little first grader, that was a big deal! I remember I used to sit there and knock my front teeth with my fist or try to bury them deep into an apple in hopes they would get pulled out! Nope. Nothing. Want to know what did it? Tripping in the middle of the night and hitting my nightstand perfectly on my two front teeth! As excited as I was when my teeth where gone, those bruises did not make for a cute smile.
Fast forward to middle school when everyone was getting braces and it was the coolest thing to get your band color changed, I had not lost my front “vampire” teeth yet and could not get braces. It was heartbreaking to my 8th grade self. And since those teeth were not coming out on their own, I had to get them pulled in 9th grade (yes I had missing teeth in high school) and surgery to get the permanent teeth to come down. All of this so I could finally get braces! But needless to say, I was the definition of metal mouth with all the chains and braces up in there and it was quite embarrassing.
From all that, I took to heart taking immaculate care of my teeth the second the chains and braces came off. So here I am about to spill it all and answer all the questions!
- How do I keep my teeth white against coffee, wine, soda, food?! STRAWS. I literally drink everything from a straw! Yes, I get weird looks drinking my coffee from a straw, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!
- What kind of products do I use? My favorite toothpaste to use is Tom’s of Maine Whole Care Toothpaste. Tom’s of Maine is a vegan, cruelty free, natural line of beauty products that I swear by. IMO, their toothpaste works better than the leading brands and you can pick it up from any major convenient or grocery store.
- How often do I brush my teeth or use mouth rinse? When I initially got my braces off and for a good 10 years after, I was brushing my teeth every single time I ate. Almost immediately after. So sometimes up to four times a day. Now I only brush my teeth in the morning (after coffee) and right before I go to bed. But I am the worst at using mouth wash! I don’t even own any.
- Do I have a history of at-home teeth whitening? I do. I’ve done it all. I have tried charcoal toothpaste, charcoal powder, teeth whitening strips, LED and most recently, custom fitting trays.
- What do I think of the different teeth whitening methods?
- Charcoal Toothpaste/Powder: Affordable and I noticed a quick response time but not effective for a longer term. The whitening effect went away quickly and left my teeth sensitive! I probably stuck to this for about two weeks tops.
- Whitening Strips: Super effective at whitening and decently priced. However, the strips did not get in between my teeth, leaving an uneven look. I did this years upon years ago and felt like my teeth stayed sensitive for a very long time after!! Not cool.
- LED: Honestly, I couldn’t tell a difference at all. I did one treatment and called it quits. At least all the other methods I could see a difference after one use!
- Trays: By far my favorite! I will never go back to any other teeth whitening method. I love how the gel gets all angles of my teeth and how my trays are custom fit. This does cause sensitive teeth and it is more pricey but the most effective for long term whitening.
For the past few weeks, I have been using custom fitted trays to whiten my teeth every other day in order to get my holiday smile game on! Working with Smile Brilliant, I am so impressed with how easy it was to make my teeth molds for the trays and how quickly the trays were returned with the perfect fit! Not only did they send the custom trays and the whitening gel, but also a desensitizing gel that made my teeth whitening experience that much better. No more sensitive teeth!
So today I am excited to announce that I have teamed up with Smile Brilliant to give one of my lucky readers their own customized trays with teeth whitening and desensitizing gel, valued at $149!! If anyone understands what a white smile you’re confident about can do for you, it’s me! Having a white smile has boosted my confidence and self-esteem so much that I want to share it with you! Enter the giveaway below and let your friends know! In the meantime, receive 15% off your purchase with the code allpinkandpearls15.